Here are some amazing facts about the English Cocker Spaniel:
- English Cocker Spaniels are well known for wagging their tails even when hunting.
- The English Cocker Spaniel is a distinct breed from the American Cocker Spaniel. However, before the 1930’s, they were viewed as belonging to the same breed
- In 2004, the English Cocker Spaniel garnered 3rd place in AKC’s top ten popular breeds of dogs.
- One of the most popular English Cocker Spaniels was named “Shannon”, owned by John Kennedy.
- The breed got its nickname “Cocker” from being an excellent woodcock hunter.
- English Cocker Spaniels are among the most popular therapy dogs because of their affectionate nature and loving dispositions.
- Aside from flushing out game birds from the thick underbrush, they are also known to have natural retrieving instincts.
- Cockers came from England but trace their ancestors to Spaniels in Spain.
- The Cocker’s long floppy ears make it prone to ear infections.